Saturday 30 January 2010

CARETAKERS COTTAGE SHOREDITCH TOWNHALL





This is some of the work I did last year for my friends Mike and Jim who have a post production company in the Ditch. Those boys undertook a massive project last year turning the old caretakers cottage of shoreditch town hall, which I believe had been derelict for a very long time into their business premises. What a transformation, these boys have got a good eye and really know what they want. They created a stylish environment that was sympathetic to the building, which was just a shell when they started. I will post some photos of the finished work, but for now here are some 'work in progress shots'. I built a couple of long desk for their editing equipment from some reclaimed teak science benches. These had to be cut and joined several times, due to sink cut-out etc and needed quite a bit of scraping and sanding to remove all the chewing gum and graffiti. We just about had enough teak for both desks with a couple small scrapes left over. I also built a bookcase over and round the doorway, this was fun as nothing was straight and I was limited with where I could fix due to cabling. I constructed it as a series of boxes which stacked up and over the doorway, this provided much more stability.

No comments:

Post a Comment